Decorating with Black

We all love black, right? Well did you know that black is not a color, but the absence of color? When we wear black it is sophisticated and powerful and down right sexy! It even makes us look thinner, which is always a good thing.

Black is stabilizing, strengthening, authoritive, sophisticated and powerful. So if black is all these wonderful things, why are so many people afraid to use it in their homes?

Black is a very versatile color in home decorating; it makes colors paired with it pop a bit more, it’s grounding in a room, it breaks up patterns and lends a bit of weight to a room, and gives the eye a place to rest.

The safest way to use black in a room is through accessories and lightweight furniture pieces…but who wants to play it safe all the time? Painting an accent wall in black is a great way to walk on the wild side. Black paint is often used as an accent for front doors for colonial style homes or trim in old victorian homes. But black can be so much more than that.

Try painting an accent wall and the result can be very daring and dramatic. The key to using black as a paint color is making sure that you use a matte finish and an absolutely black shade. Many black paints have blue in them so that’s something to watch out for. Treat it just like you would when picking out other paint colors, by applying a small sample on the wall and observing it at various times of the day in different lighting. If you still don’t like it…. it’s only paint.

If you are afraid to commit to black as a paint color, then try using it in small ways that will have impact in the room. I believe that every room needs a bit of black, and I often try to repeat it in three different areas of the room. Some great ways to introduce black are through picture frames, a lamp base, small accessories, an accent table or chair, fabrics and trims on pillows or even in an area rug. Check out these pictures and see what you think.
 So, could you see using a bit of black in your home décor? Please share your thoughts

Wishing you a happy Monday!

Be Inspired!

interior designer in katy Veronica Solomon
Owner/Lead Designer
Casa Vilora Interiors

74 Comments on Decorating with Black

1. Kelly Berg
    September 23, 2010 at 3:20 am (6 years ago)

Black has so many design personalities, doesn’t it? I love the look of those high gloss black floors!
    Thanks so much for your comments tonight!

2. Jessica (@ToodiesMomma)
    June 23, 2014 at 2:30 am (2 years ago)

I love using black to decorate. I don’t think I would ever paint my walls black but it’s definitely a color that can be easily paired with others. If used correctly it can definitely turn a drab room into a fab one!

3. savoryexperiments
    June 23, 2014 at 2:35 am (2 years ago)

Black certainly makes a bold statement! I’m still to nervous to try in my own home!

4. My Journey With Candida
    June 23, 2014 at 2:49 am (2 years ago)

My Daughter has been getting into decorating with black lately. I am still stuck in the boring neutral tones.

• pamatiw
      June 24, 2014 at 5:49 am (2 years ago)

I had a period of neutral tones too but recently did an accent wall in a burgundy and am really loving it.

5. The Harried Mom
    June 23, 2014 at 2:59 am (2 years ago)

Our dining room shaker style furniture and hutch is brown and black. I love the way black looks – it makes things look fancy.

6. gaynycdad
    June 23, 2014 at 3:33 am (2 years ago)

In the old days I would have loved all black! Now I could only see it as a way to off set bright colors, its amazing how our tastes change as we mature (or just get older!).
    thanks,
    mItch

7. Liz Mays
    June 23, 2014 at 3:42 am (2 years ago)

I would definitely use it in accessories and for accenting. Some of these examples are magnificent!

8. Felicia
    June 23, 2014 at 4:05 am (2 years ago)

For me, black is so scary to decorate with. Thank you for sharing this. It really gives me some great ideas.

9. Amanda @ Growing Up Madison
    June 23, 2014 at 4:29 am (2 years ago)

I’ve always wanted to try black in my home. It’s actually the next color that I’m going for although as soon as the kids are gone I’m going full on white.

10. Jennifer Bullock {MommyBKnowsBest}
    June 23, 2014 at 5:30 am (2 years ago)

We have a few black pieces of furniture to be used in our office I think they look pretty sleek. I could see us using the color more around our new home when we start decorating too.

11. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    June 23, 2014 at 9:37 am (2 years ago)

I love the idea of decorating with black. My parents living room is black and a shade of really light blue and I always love hanging out in that room when I am there.

12. Kay Adeola
    June 23, 2014 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

I love black and white themes or even black and purple themes.I think black and white really stands out and makes a great statement.

13. john baker
    June 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm (2 years ago)

I like the way black will contrast the brighter colors in the room. black helps bring balance to a room

14. Coolchillmom
    June 23, 2014 at 12:14 pm (2 years ago)

Black really give a sophistication and elegant tint to all these beautiful rooms
    Everything in moderation right?

15. Deanna Heiliger
    June 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm (2 years ago)

All these pictures are beautiful Veronica! I have a splash of black here and there in my home, but I do not have the bold black wall. 🙂 I agree that you need to be careful about getting a true black paint, a hint of blue may not be good. Tweeted!

16. Jennifer Williams
    June 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm (2 years ago)

I love how bold the color of black can be. I would have to use it for accents though, I have always had to have bright colors on my walls to help open a room up.

17. Kristen from The Road to Domestication
    June 23, 2014 at 2:43 pm (2 years ago)

We have black (along with red and white) in our home office, and I love the clean look it gives! There are some really nice pieces of black furniture out these days, as well!

18. Amber Conaway
    June 23, 2014 at 3:08 pm (2 years ago)

I am a HUGE fan of black! I personally wear it all the time and I love to decorate with it! My wedding was black, white and silver so I have incorporated a lot of that into my house! My bathroom is black, white and tan and I LOVE my bathroom!

19. Elizabeth Norton
    June 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm (2 years ago)

I love this look. I would love to have black walls to hide all the dirt that my kids leave. awesome looks

20. Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama
    June 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm (2 years ago)

black accents on a colored wall is my favorite way to incorporate the color. And LOL – my mom always said it was slimming!

21. Laurel Bill
    June 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm (2 years ago)

I really like the use of black – other colors sparkle when put against a black backdrop.

22. Susanna @Zealous Mom
    June 23, 2014 at 6:34 pm (2 years ago)

Very interesting. I’ve never thought about black as the “absence of color”. My parents have some really cool large pieces of black furniture. I love it.

23. Jaime McKee
    June 23, 2014 at 6:57 pm (2 years ago)

I have one gallery wall that consists of all black frames. The frames are all different sizes/textures/shapes, but the black looks great.

24. Courtney
    June 23, 2014 at 7:23 pm (2 years ago)

Black walls is too much for me, but black furniture and picture frames look really modern and sleek.

25. Tiffany (Fabulous Mom Blog)
    June 23, 2014 at 7:39 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve always wanted to paint a wall in my house black. I have the guts to do so but now we went and I don’t want to paint again until we own our own home once again. You’ve got some great design ides here, as always.

26. JoCasey
    June 23, 2014 at 8:36 pm (2 years ago)

These are great ideas – I’d never have thought of decorating with black before but you’ve changed my mind – it’s not all vampish goth!

27. Pam
    June 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve always loved a few black accents to make a room look sophisticated. I don’t think I would go full-on black walls, but I love that photo of the yellow room with the black cabinet.

28. yumeating
    June 23, 2014 at 9:49 pm (2 years ago)

I love grey or black with a pop or bright color. I think it makes a home look clean and happy.

29. Amber NElson
    June 23, 2014 at 10:59 pm (2 years ago)

I always feel like black is so dismal. I tend to stick with the neutral colors.

30. Beth@FrugalFroggie
    June 23, 2014 at 11:14 pm (2 years ago)

I like the color black but I don’t think I could use it in my house. I think black would be a little too modern for the esthetics of my decor.

31. Debbie Denny
    June 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm (2 years ago)

Ohhh I love the black and brown bedroom. The look is awesome.

32. becca112971
    June 23, 2014 at 11:21 pm (2 years ago)

I love the look of black and red together or black and white just not sure I want my house down that way.

33. pamatiw
    June 23, 2014 at 11:35 pm (2 years ago)

Back in the late 80s black furniture in a house with white walls was the way to go in the area of the country I live in. We decorated our house like that and I actually really enjoyed it but only for awhile. I am the type of person that likes to change things up when it comes to furniture and paint.

34. Rosey
    June 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

You’ve got some great looking examples here for ways to use black. I like black, it accentuates in a way that makes you say wow.

35. sippycupmom
    June 24, 2014 at 12:27 am (2 years ago)

I love all of your examples. I think I get intimidated by decorating with black.

36. TerriAnn @ Cookies & Clogs
    June 24, 2014 at 12:29 am (2 years ago)

I always gravitate to the dark black and black-brown furniture as I think it adds a nice touch. Black works great if you have bright accent colors but I’m not so bold to paint walls with it.

37. Sarah Bailey
    June 24, 2014 at 12:41 am (2 years ago)

Black can make such an amazing accent colour – some wonderful suggestions on how to do it as well. x

38. Alissa
    June 24, 2014 at 1:06 am (2 years ago)

Black looks so elegant in a room to me. We used to have a black TV cabinet and I always loved how well it pulled the room together.

39. Imelda Guanzon
    June 24, 2014 at 1:43 am (2 years ago)

I love all the designs! black for me is more on a serious way. I think I will have a black room on my house someday

40. Bekki
    June 24, 2014 at 1:58 am (2 years ago)

My brother has been decorating with black for years! His house always look sleek and organized. The pics look fab!!

41. Christie
    June 24, 2014 at 2:05 am (2 years ago)

I love black everywhere, even on me! Just stunning looks

42. Carly from The Puzzled Palate
    June 24, 2014 at 2:40 am (2 years ago)

I love black furniture. I think it is so sophisticated when done right. The only thing that I don’t like is the dusting factor!

43. toughcookiemommy
    June 24, 2014 at 3:23 am (2 years ago)

I never imagined that black decor could look so sophisticated and bright. I would love this for a den or office.

44. Kiwi
    June 24, 2014 at 3:34 am (2 years ago)

I love the black that accents the yellow walls! That is genius you did it again!

45. cam | bibs and baubles
    June 24, 2014 at 4:12 am (2 years ago)

There are some interesting ideas here. I’d never thought about adding black to the walls. It looks better than I’d imagine it would. Nice.

46. Janeane Davis (@janeanedavis)
    June 24, 2014 at 4:18 am (2 years ago)

I have always liked the competeing definitions of black. In art it is the combination of all colors and in science it is the absence of color. Thi shas always been a source of great conversations.

47. teresa mccluskey
    June 24, 2014 at 4:36 am (2 years ago)

Black is one of my favorite color! I think it is great for everything but the main color of a room!

48. The New Classy
    June 24, 2014 at 5:32 am (2 years ago)

This made me think of Barney’s apartment on How I Met Your Mother. It was gorgeous!

49. Jenni E. {Sweet Pennies from Heaven}
    June 24, 2014 at 5:37 am (2 years ago)

Black is one of my favorite colors to decorate with. I have a more farmhouse style of decor, and it always goes with anything. It also looks great with other pops of color.

50. Jenn @ The Rebel Chick
    June 24, 2014 at 12:46 pm (2 years ago)

I do like adding black through accents and accessories. I don’t really care for black walls.

51. Yvonne Brown
    June 24, 2014 at 12:52 pm (2 years ago)

I like it when other people decorate with black, but I am one for the warm colors to remind me of comfort.

52. Jim Striegel
    June 24, 2014 at 12:53 pm (2 years ago)

I never used to be a huge fan of black until I saw it in some homes recently and looked very classy.

53. kungphoo
    June 24, 2014 at 12:58 pm (2 years ago)

Very Nice Veronica, Playing it safe can be boring lol. These are some very elegant designs!

54. Krystal's Kitsch
    June 24, 2014 at 1:37 pm (2 years ago)

Growing up we always had black leather couches. It was my mom’s style. Now I’m more bright and airy!

55. Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest
    June 24, 2014 at 3:27 pm (2 years ago)

I find it hard to decorate with black. It’s so easy to go overboard with it and make it to harsh without meaning to.

56. Becka
    June 24, 2014 at 5:03 pm (2 years ago)

Such beautiful rooms! I love to add a little black when I decorate.

57. Marni | Love and Duck Fat
    June 24, 2014 at 7:58 pm (2 years ago)

We painted our house really dark grey to contrast with the white roof and white trim. It looks so striking!

58. Angie | Big Bear's Wife
    June 24, 2014 at 9:01 pm (2 years ago)

I love dark colors in our house, yes I know that some people love brights but I love dark/black moody colors!

59. thechattymomma
    June 24, 2014 at 9:55 pm (2 years ago)

Nice. I prefer the colored walls with black furniture over the black walls the most. It seems like they would be so dreary and not cheerful. I love black furniture though.

60. Fabulous Perks
    June 24, 2014 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

I would always shy away from the color black when it comes to decorating. I’m inspired by this post.

61. John Obidi
    June 25, 2014 at 7:05 am (2 years ago)

I especially love the tastefully decorated bathroom!

62. Christina S
    June 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm (2 years ago)

I really like the black walls in the bedroom! That’s be something I’d love to try!

63. Amanda
    June 25, 2014 at 7:10 pm (2 years ago)

My bedroom is black white and lots of silver–It is so beautiful! One of my favorite rooms in the house!

64. April Decheine
    June 26, 2014 at 12:38 am (2 years ago)

I decorated with black a lot on the late 80’s and 90’s. I like black wood with white. I guess I don’t use black to much but really like the color.

65. Onica {MommyFactor}
    June 26, 2014 at 1:48 am (2 years ago)

I have to be honest, black is not one of my fav decorating colors. It very striking and bold. But some people really like the contrast.

66. alice chase
    June 26, 2014 at 5:42 am (2 years ago)

I love that you posted this.My teenage daughter has been trying to get me to decorate with more black and all I could think of was creepy goth-vampire decor ( which isn’t what she was suggesting at all btw) Thanks for helping me visualize it!

67. Jennifer B
    July 2, 2014 at 12:49 am (2 years ago)

You’re totally right – using black in decoration in the right way can really make a difference, for the better. I love all the pictures you showed, too!