Are you in the process of building a new home, remodeling, or adding on to your home? Do you get overwhelmed by all the choices the builder’s design center has to offer?
Understandably, it can be a very overwhelming and emotional experience deciding on the finishes you want in your new home. Imagine picking out every surface of an entire home – from exterior selections to flooring, cabinetry, paint, appliances, countertops, lighting etc all in 4-6 hours. And to add to the overwhelm, doing it from small swatches and within a certain budget.
Most homebuilders offer standard finishes for your home and then options that you can select as upgrades. These upgrades are usually priced a bit higher than what the homeowner can get them for if they were to shop around. These upgrades are priced higher because the homebuilder has made it more convenient to have these items installed in your home during construction. But is it worth paying extra for?
There are ways you can confidently choose the finishes for your new construction home, without losing your sanity.
- There are great resources out there that can help you to determine the look you want in your home. Websites like Houzz and Pinterest offer great photographs of finished spaces that are sure to inspire you. Create inspiration boards that you can refer to during your design center appointment or share with your design consultant.
- Take advantage of “previews” offered by homebuilders. Some homebuilders will allow you to go to their design center prior to your actual design appointment to browse and get an idea of what you want. It is usually unassisted, and you won’t get pricing at that point, but at least you get to see what’s available
- Visit the homebuilder’s model homes in your area. Not just one, but as many as you can. Homebuilders usually add a lot of upgrades to model homes and they base it on the demographics of that particular market. Visiting all these areas will allow you to see the range of upgrades in actual spaces.
- Check out spec homes or inventory homes under construction as well. They are full of options that the builder chose that they feel would appeal to most buyers. The finishes are usually not as elaborate as the model homes, so they give you a truer picture of what is reasonable.
- For exterior selections, it helps to drive the neighborhood and look at completed homes for inspiration. If it is within a subdivision, your sales person will have record of the exterior finishes for each home (even if it is another builder’s home). There is usually an Architectural Review Committee that keeps track of this information and shares it with each builder.
- Consider hiring an Interior Designer to accompany you to your design center appointment. For just a small investment, you will be confident that the selections you are making will work well in your home. An Interior Designer has a trained eye and the experience with working with small samples of these materials and can guide you in the process. They are knowledgeable about the value of the finishes in relation to the value of your home. This is one of the many services we offer here at Casa Vilora Interiors. With years of experience working with custom home builders and production builders, we have the experience to make the design center experience go smoothly and efficiently. For just a small investment of $95 an hour you can leave your design center with the confidence of knowing that your home will turn out beautifully. Ripping out tile and granite is no fun after the fact…..you don’t want to make a mistake with that.
We provide design service to production, custom home builders and remodelers in the Katy and surrounding areas by assisting their buyers with selections for their new homes.
- Wood, tile and stone flooring
- Granite and stone countertops
- Bathroom and kitchen wall tiles
- Carpet, carpet pads and rugs
- Light fixtures
- Plumbing fixtures
- Stair parts
- Doors and trim
- Paint colors
- Exterior selections – brick, stone, siding, shutters
- Window Treatments – shutters, blinds
- Architectural detailing
Our new construction and remodeling clients enjoy the benefit of bringing us in from the very beginning or the construction phase. If you are a homeowner in the Houston area going through the building or remodeling process, or a homebuilder looking for design services for your customers, please feel free to contact us. It starts with a consultation in your current home to discuss your needs, what you love about your current home and want you don’t.
Wishing you beauty and inspiration!Veronica Solomon
Casa Vilora Interiors