What Is Your Decorating Style?

First, I just want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to complete the survey in my last blog post. It was an overwhelming number of responses and I am still in the process of analyzing the results. I will be addressing the questions and responses in a future blog post, so please be on the lookout for that. You can still take it here if you missed it.

Katy Interior designer

A recent addition to our website is the CVI Style Guide. I Thought it would be a fun idea to help clients during the “exploration” stage, before they make that first contact with us, try to identify what decorating style resonates with them.

While it is not necessary or a pre-requisite to know your decorating style before calling us, it does help clients communicate their needs and ideas with us. Clients usually come to us with no clear understanding of how to define their decorating style, but they often know what they like and what they don’t like.

Your style can be anything you love and enjoy having in your home- things that mean something to you, and doesn’t have to have a label attached to it.

Katy Interior Designer

We want to make finding your style easy without the guessing game. When you hire us for your project, our goal is to provide guidance and help you make your home uniquely yours – fitting your style, budget and lifestyle.

We even included a Style Quiz that you can take to better define your style. Click here to take the style quiz

Your taste in fashion can also be a great indicator of your decorating style. See a previous blog post explaining how.

Check out our style guide here and have fun finding your decorating style!

Wishing you Beauty and Inspiration!

Katy Interior designer/ Katy Interior Decorator Veronica Solomon
Owner/Lead Designer
Casa Vilora Interiors

87 Comments on What Is Your Decorating Style?

1. Laurel Bill
    October 22, 2014 at 4:23 am (2 years ago)

I know my style – comfortable chic!

2. ascendingbutterfly
    October 22, 2014 at 8:26 am (2 years ago)

My style is a bit eclectic and changes often, but I do dig a very Asian ‘Zen’ Vibe, but i tend to do something a little different in every room!

3. Debbie L.
    October 22, 2014 at 8:54 am (2 years ago)

I took the test and I am a natural adobe – I agree. I do love the outdoors!

4. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    October 22, 2014 at 9:59 am (2 years ago)

I think I am a shabby chic type of girl. I definitely like the homey, comfortable, lived in sort of look.

5. creativelyrenewed
    October 22, 2014 at 10:45 am (2 years ago)

It’s so important to know your style. With all the trends out there it’s so easy to get caught up in something that you end up hating after a few years.

6. thisyearinmusic
    October 22, 2014 at 11:55 am (2 years ago)

Personally I’d say 1920’s/30’s detective office chic. That with record shop shelving, ha!

7. Jim Striegel
    October 22, 2014 at 1:18 pm (2 years ago)

We are still old world. I know many don’t like it, but we do in our home.

8. Barbara Hoyer
    October 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm (2 years ago)

My style has definitely involved over the years especially recently with some inspiration from Pinterest.

9. Brenda Sanford
    October 22, 2014 at 2:07 pm (2 years ago)

It’s good to let your customers know that your company is there to help them figure out how to mix and match their decor that fits them. Good job!

10. Mandi Welbaum (@MandiWelbaum)
    October 22, 2014 at 2:09 pm (2 years ago)

I love the kitchen in that very first picture! I’m not sure what my style is, I need a quiz or something!

11. Marvelous Mommy
    October 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely love that kitchen! I’m still trying to decide on my style for our new house!

12. jennifer378
    October 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm (2 years ago)

I could use this. I have no idea what my decorating style is. I love antiques but like contemporary – a good blend would be great!

13. mommiesquietplace
    October 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm (2 years ago)

I love the idea of a quiz to help focus on what we could consider our style. I never knew if I even had one. I’ll be back to take the quiz.

14. aimee fauci
    October 22, 2014 at 5:48 pm (2 years ago)

Country Chic/ and or Texas Decor. I think those were the names.. LOVE LOVE them both so much.

15. becca112971
    October 22, 2014 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

simply and clean. I like things that allow space and light to fiter in.

16. yumeating
    October 22, 2014 at 6:00 pm (2 years ago)

I took the test. It was as tie for me between Sophisticated Surroundings and Welcoming Home. How interesting.

17. Catherine S
    October 22, 2014 at 6:26 pm (2 years ago)

This quiz is a great idea. I bet the CVI style guide is a great tool for you to help your clients.

18. Melanie K.
    October 22, 2014 at 7:10 pm (2 years ago)

This is a great service to offer for someone like me who could use style help!

19. Kristen from The Road to Domestication
    October 22, 2014 at 7:31 pm (2 years ago)

How fun! I’m mostly transitional, with bits of eclectic and cottage thrown in LOL That’s why I’m glad you said that your style can be anything you love and enjoy having in your home LOL

20. nicolewhitfield5
    October 22, 2014 at 7:32 pm (2 years ago)

I’m different in every room of my house. My kitchen is country chic, my bedroom is gothic, and my living room is sophisticated/ Indian. I think it just really depends on my mood

21. Erin
    October 22, 2014 at 7:42 pm (2 years ago)

LOL I need to work on my style! That’s why I come here 🙂

22. meryl444
    October 22, 2014 at 8:17 pm (2 years ago)

Knowing your style and being comfortable with it is so important. If we are not at home in our own homes we will never be at home any where else. Your home is a reflection of you so make it your living sanctuary.

23. Jeanine
    October 22, 2014 at 8:17 pm (2 years ago)

I have no idea what my style is. Confused mostly haha! I need to keep checking back here for ideas:)

24. Pam
    October 22, 2014 at 8:29 pm (2 years ago)

I know my style, but so many people don’t! I really go for antiques and vintage.

25. livingmommywood
    October 22, 2014 at 11:04 pm (2 years ago)

Veronica I wish I could just say I have one style but I have a few if I had a home I would totally address my love for variety in several rooms, great share:)!

26. Shell Things (@shellthings)
    October 22, 2014 at 11:10 pm (2 years ago)

I’ll have to check out your style quiz. I have a hard time explaining what I like!

27. Lois Alter Mark
    October 22, 2014 at 11:22 pm (2 years ago)

I’m definitely a shabby chic girl but will have to take your style quiz to see if it agrees!

28. Terri's Little Haven (@terrishutterbug)
    October 22, 2014 at 11:22 pm (2 years ago)

My decorating style is a mixture of Shabby Chic and Victorian mixed with a little country. Kind of gypsyish and Paris on top of that. I’m a strange individual.

29. Sarah Bailey
    October 22, 2014 at 11:27 pm (2 years ago)

My style is a bit of everything and whatever makes me feel comfortable. x

30. Danielle
    October 22, 2014 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

My style is country chic! I love Woods- dark woods, light ones all of them! Rustic yet cute!

31. Amy Desrosiers
    October 23, 2014 at 12:15 am (2 years ago)

My style is primitive. I love country style things!

32. debthompson (@debthompson)
    October 23, 2014 at 12:38 am (2 years ago)

LOVE that bathroom mirror. My style is no style It took me 10 years to hang photos on the walls 😉

33. Nicole Keener
    October 23, 2014 at 1:43 am (2 years ago)

Apparently my style can not be categorized haha, I believe since I was born in Germany and raised there, lived in Korea for a while and now here in the US, I got to see so many beautiful things that my style has simply become multicultural.

34. Janell Poulette
    October 23, 2014 at 1:46 am (2 years ago)

I am moving early next year into a new house. I can’t wait to check out everything you have to offer! It will be so fun!

35. coolchillmom
    October 23, 2014 at 2:29 am (2 years ago)

I really don’t know my style. It changes everyday and that is the problem. I have a very eclectic home and I want a look for the whole thing

36. Kristin
    October 23, 2014 at 2:34 am (2 years ago)

I love all your decorating ideas. You give me so much inspiration.

37. Dru
    October 23, 2014 at 2:39 am (2 years ago)

These are beautiful styles and designs, my style is southwestern.

38. Debbie
    October 23, 2014 at 2:54 am (2 years ago)

I like clean looking rooms

39. Beth@FrugalFroggie
    October 23, 2014 at 3:39 am (2 years ago)

I think my style is classic. I probably dress classic, casual as well.

40. rozbeads
    October 23, 2014 at 3:52 am (2 years ago)

Great idea for your blog and clearly lots love taking this quiz. Usually ones fashion style is similar to interior, so without the quiz, Id say Im comfy, color coordinated, and definitely with plum.

41. Annie Mai
    October 23, 2014 at 4:01 am (2 years ago)

My style would probably be homey & comfy. I love special touches as well 😉

42. Beverley Golden
    October 23, 2014 at 4:08 am (2 years ago)

My style is eclectic. I am moved by colour, shapes and accent pieces. I actually have a collection of over 400 elephants from all over the world and they somehow add an interesting flavour to the rooms and spaces they inhabit in my home.

43. Dawn Kropp
    October 23, 2014 at 4:28 am (2 years ago)

I don’t know if I have one style… but any more I’m digging shabby chic looks!

44. Veronica
    October 23, 2014 at 5:52 am (2 years ago)

thanks for your great comments and thanks for taking the style quiz!

45. danisdecadentdeals
    October 23, 2014 at 6:14 am (2 years ago)

You have such gorgeous pictures and great decorating ideas:)

46. Janel (A Mom's Take)
    October 23, 2014 at 11:43 am (2 years ago)

I don’t think I’ve ever given much thought to my dream style but I do like clean lines, but I’m also a bit eclectic, if that’s even possible?

47. Rosey
    October 23, 2014 at 11:51 am (2 years ago)

I got a lot of 1s and 6s on the quiz. It’s interesting to see what the results say on these. 🙂

48. Marjory Johnson
    October 23, 2014 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

I love that Venetian mirror…that is my style.

49. Eliz@MirthandMotivation
    October 23, 2014 at 1:55 pm (2 years ago)

Personally, I like clean lines and modern pieces but as a mom, I’m comfy with comfy casual pieces at home.

50. Krista
    October 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm (2 years ago)

Love your quiz! I need to start putting more effort into my home decorating.

51. Dee
    October 23, 2014 at 2:46 pm (2 years ago)

I seem to lean more towards modern, but I definitely have some traditional touches.

52. katrinagehman
    October 23, 2014 at 3:03 pm (2 years ago)

that kitchen looks awesome. we will be redoing ours in a couple months.

53. Tracey Tabone
    October 23, 2014 at 3:03 pm (2 years ago)

This is an awesome test! I am Shabby Chic.

54. Krystal's Kitsch
    October 23, 2014 at 3:13 pm (2 years ago)

I like classic and bright white decor! I love bright colors too so I’m a mix!

55. Liz Mays
    October 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm (2 years ago)

I think I’ll take that quiz and figure out what my style is because I seriously have NO idea. I just like what I like.

56. ryantlabee
    October 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm (2 years ago)

This is gorgeous but my decorating style is blind male…im terrible at it! Luckily my wife has some taste other wise we would be really screwed. Great post!

57. Onica {MommyFactor}
    October 23, 2014 at 6:21 pm (2 years ago)

When it comes to decorating styles, I like simple but colorful styles. A little bit of color does a lot.

58. Shannon Gosney
    October 23, 2014 at 10:02 pm (2 years ago)

You do such a great job with your decorating posts. I’m not really sure what my style is – whatever works with 6 kids and 2 adults I guess. LOL

59. Barbie's Beauty Bits
    October 24, 2014 at 12:04 am (2 years ago)

I always like seeing your posts, they are great and the rooms look amazing! And Hollywood regency is my style.

60. Ines Roe
    October 24, 2014 at 12:38 am (2 years ago)

I am comfortable haven. I recently spend a week at a friends house who had taken a great deal of time and effort to decorate her house. When I came home it made me realize that although I love my home I had not taken the time and effort to really “bring things together” as she had. It made me realize that someday I may have to pay more attention to decorating my home

61. DonnaChaffins (@DonnaChaffins)
    October 24, 2014 at 12:53 am (2 years ago)

All all over the place, so I guess my style is eclectic…. which I kind of already knew. 🙂

62. mommart
    October 24, 2014 at 12:59 am (2 years ago)

I am all over the place. But I think that I fall mostly in between Modern and Traditional.

63. Danielle Stewart
    October 24, 2014 at 3:33 am (2 years ago)

Absolutely beautiful! Your taste is exceptional!

64. chrissy4gordon24
    October 24, 2014 at 4:41 am (2 years ago)

I LOVE modern chic but also love antiques so I change it up a bit.

65. Farrah
    October 24, 2014 at 4:50 am (2 years ago)

I love like a contemporary chic style. I love to mix and match with old and new. 🙂

66. Viccy Howe
    October 24, 2014 at 9:48 am (2 years ago)

I have no idea what my style is: I love flicking through interior design magazines, but have no idea how to make it happen in my home!
    Just done the style quiz and it says I’ll want to live in a Comfortable Haven! Sounds about right x

67. Dawn McAlexander
    October 24, 2014 at 12:11 pm (2 years ago)

You always have gorgeous pictures on here! I love that counter and the bar stools.

68. MamaRed
    October 24, 2014 at 12:34 pm (2 years ago)

What a wonderful way to help us find our style. So many of the “tools” I see attach a name to things and sometimes I just like what I like. So creating a way to help us help ourselves AND you as a designer is brilliant!

Laugh lots, Love more!
    MamaRed

69. Dina
    October 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm (2 years ago)

I am a shabby chic cluttered style. lol I wish I could become non cluttered though.

70. Brandy
    October 25, 2014 at 2:56 pm (2 years ago)

I am still trying to figure out my style, because I have visions of what I want for decor when my boys are older, but right now my style is more that of a Mom who wishes not to say “don’t touch that” or “be careful” 100 times within the home that is suppose to be the kids safe, comfort zone place to play and be themselves.

71. Felicia
    October 25, 2014 at 5:18 pm (2 years ago)

These are such great ideas. I need to take the quiz.

72. bestrealhealth
    October 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm (2 years ago)

My style is ‘country’ maybe some traditional.

73. babita
    October 26, 2014 at 4:24 pm (2 years ago)

My style I believe is Modern and Minimalist. I don’t like to have a lot of furniture and like my home free of unwanted clutter.

74. hjcameron
    October 26, 2014 at 6:08 pm (2 years ago)

Interesting Quiz – I was definitely a mix, none with more than 3. Probably explains that my style isn’t defined. I like comfortable and welcoming. Not sure if that is a style.

A great was to show your knowledge and help people self discover their style.

75. A. Lynn Jesus
    October 27, 2014 at 1:03 am (2 years ago)

What a fun post. I really appreciate that you consistently find fun ways to make sure you are meeting your client’s taste and needs – even when they may not be sure what that is. I was all over the place on the quiz, but I do know I love contrast with bold colors. 🙂

76. Veronica
    October 27, 2014 at 2:09 am (2 years ago)

Message left by Takara Shelor –
    Years and years ago I was living in Lancaster, PA and took a 6 week course in interior design – just for fun. After learning about the various styles, we went around the room sharing what primary style we each were. You have to remember that Lancaster, PA is in the middle of Amish country. There are lots of very old gorgeous farm houses, folk art, Amish furniture, etc. When it was my turn to share, my response was the style the instructor called Dramatic. I love bold colors, a major focal art piece in a room, the flare for the dramatic. The instructor looked at me and said, “you won’t find anything in the stores here. You’ll have to go to Philly to find anything to your liking.” I laughed and said I had already figured that out. What I found very intriguing is that a few years later, I took an intensive course in image consulting, skin care and makeup application with an internationally recognized makeup artist. She also looked at a person’s style before helping them choose their colors and intensity of their makeup application. Once again, I was the only dramatic in the room. I love that we wear clothes and makeup that are in alignment with what we prefer in home decor. FUN! Thanks for a great post.

77. LifeAsAConvert
    October 27, 2014 at 2:47 am (2 years ago)

I always say I don’t like the modern style, but I do like modern in some things. I guess my style is eclectic but clean.

78. Lara
    October 27, 2014 at 2:10 pm (2 years ago)

I feel like I have two styles. Modern and clean and lived in! LOL

79. Barbara Keen
    October 29, 2014 at 6:20 pm (2 years ago)

Sorry Veronica I wasn’t able to take the quiz it said the site was down. But thank you for sharing all your great knowledge on decorating. My home is warm, comfortable, country style and welcoming. I like my home to be lived in not just a show piece.!!

80. Norma Doiron
    October 29, 2014 at 9:55 pm (2 years ago)

I love the wallpaper in the bathroom, thinking of refacing my walls myself. It’s beautiful! YOUR blog posts inspire me.