My New Morning Room

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a marvelous weekend and ready for an amazing week!

I have been up to a lot over the weekend. I did some antique shopping and then brought home my treasures and spray painted (and painted) like crazy. My fingers are numb, and I am probably just a bit high right now :-) Just Kidding. Always wear a mask! I will be sharing some of these projects here on the blog very soon, so be sure to subscribe so you never miss a post.

Today I am so excited to share one space that is somewhat finished and I am enjoying the heck out of it

Katy Interior Designer

Ok, in case you are wondering what a morning room is, allow me to explain. You see, ever since I moved to my new smaller home over a year ago, I missed having an outdoor living space like I did in the old house. I have been dreaming about an enclosed all seasons sunroom, but that’s definitely not in the budget right now. So an interior space will have to stand-in for my sunroom for now. This space is now dubbed the morning room.

Our breakfast room, right off the kitchen was furnished with a beautiful Restoration Hardware dining room table and chairs, but hardly ever got used because my kids would rather eat where they hang out – in the game room. I eventually moved the furniture to the large living room, combining both spaces. The table and chairs were a smidge too big for the breakfast room anyway.

This left the breakfast area empty, and I actually thought about adding a small café table and chairs in there just to fulfill the function the builder intended. But then I realized that this is my house and I will use it the way we actually live.

Since I don’t have to be in my office until10:00am everyday, this leaves me with some quality time alone after the kids leave for school by 6:30. Sometimes I head back to bed to make up sleep (I stay up late almost every night working) or I’ll head to the kitchen and make my green juice for the day, and read my Bible and devotional to start my day right.

That’s when it hit me, why not create a “morning room” where the breakfast room used to be? Perfect! And that’s what I did!

Katy Interior Designer

I already owned the pair of wing back chairs that I purchased a couple of years ago. They are so comfortable.The round table is new and actually adjusts from a coffee table to dining room height. I added a small 5×7 area rug and the ottoman is a clearance item from Target. I really wanted two, but they had just one left. For $40, it was quite the steal.

The small table was from Hobby Lobby, and the lamp from Ross. This makes it easy to sit and read in the early morning hours.

The black and white storage bag (that is hardly visible) contains lots of decorating magazines for reading, and a throw to cozy up with.

Katy Interior Designer

Katy Interior Designer

The custom drapery was done by my workroom. I fell in love with this amazing toile fabric and I had to use it somewhere in my home. I love all things toile and chinoiserie.

I couldn’t resist these “dapper animal” plates and this was the perfect place to display them. They were on clearance, and I missed the opportunity to get the other animals from the series because they are no longer available :-( Aren’t they just adorable?

Katy Interior Designer

All the other accessories and pillows I had on hand. You will notice my white ceramic piggies. I love decorating with cute animals, and pigs are my favorite. The little vases of faux florals are actually votive holders. They make great bud vases, and I have them sprinkled throughout my home.

The coral color accents are so refreshing to me. It is very much a trend now, but the coral and blue combination reminds me of home in Jamaica. So I will still love that combo even when the trend is passé.

So this small space off my kitchen has quickly become my favorite little hangout. I feel like a decorating rebel; defying the rules of new construction and decorating :-)

I would strongly encourage busy moms (and dads) to carve out a small space in their home to act as a little get-away for a quiet moment from the kiddos.

I know the breakfast room is the main thoroughfare in most households, so this may not be ideal for everyone, but it can be anywhere in your home. My kids are older: 17 and 13, and as hard as I try to get them to eat downstairs, they would rather do it in the game room where they hang out. That room will be a future project and I will have a dining area with a mini fridge put in just for them (well for one kid since the other goes off to college in the Fall :-(  :-) )

So tell me, is there a space in your home that could become a little getaway? I would love to hear how you would use it.

Ps. Join me at the Simple Details Blog “Best Of The Nest” Link Party. Click here

Wishing You Beauty and Inspiration!

Katy Interior Designer

Veronica Solomon
Owner/Lead Designer
Casa Vilora Interiors

65 Comments on My New Morning Room

1. ascendingbutterfly
    March 23, 2015 at 8:25 am (1 year ago)

Your morning room is LOVELY! That is exactly what I hate about apartment dwelling I don’t really have the space for something like that! But when I make the switch to home ownership that is the first thing I plan to do!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

• My Journey With Candida
      March 23, 2015 at 12:12 pm (1 year ago)

Right now we live in a big house. I have been thinking of moving to maybe an apartment, but I sure would miss my porch

2. My Journey With Candida
    March 23, 2015 at 11:43 am (1 year ago)

A morning room!! I love that idea and I have the perfect spot for one. You did great with your new room… now I need to see what I can do with mine.

3. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle
    March 23, 2015 at 2:26 pm (1 year ago)

That is beautiful! I can totally see myself relaxing in the morning in a spot like that, coffee in hand.

4. Betsy Segars
    March 23, 2015 at 5:02 pm (1 year ago)

Love your morning room! I love having a cozy spot in the house to relax.

5. Mama to 5 Blessings
    March 23, 2015 at 6:50 pm (1 year ago)

What a pretty little area. I love all the plates on the wall – looks great!

• Angela
      March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm (1 year ago)

I agree. The wall of plates is awesome.

6. April G
    March 23, 2015 at 7:12 pm (1 year ago)

That seems like such a relaxing area. The plates and the colors are great. I love your eye.

7. Amy Desrosiers
    March 23, 2015 at 7:22 pm (1 year ago)

I love this room so much! I would totally love a morning room, or a kid-free room for that matter!

8. Aimee Fauci
    March 23, 2015 at 8:06 pm (1 year ago)

I wish there was a space in my home that could be my getaway. Our house is old and oddly built.

9. Liz Mays
    March 23, 2015 at 9:11 pm (1 year ago)

I love how you decorated the room. All of the colors work so well together.The animal plates are just too cool!

10. Pam
    March 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm (1 year ago)

This is such a cool idea. I love the “dapper animals” plates and the way you displayed them.

11. thelesleyshow
    March 23, 2015 at 10:41 pm (1 year ago)

I really need to do something different in our room. Thanks for the different ideas, now I need to shop and apply some of these techniques.

12. Ronnie Epstein
    March 23, 2015 at 10:54 pm (1 year ago)

Wow. You always manage to impress me with your interior design… that looks stunning. Every piece works together perfectly.

13. Jeanine
    March 23, 2015 at 11:40 pm (1 year ago)

Wow what a gorgeous room! The first thing I noticed was the animal plates. So very cute!

14. bloodcravephotography
    March 24, 2015 at 12:14 am (1 year ago)

Stunning. This looks like such a cute cozy place to wake up to.

15. Angela
    March 24, 2015 at 12:34 am (1 year ago)

I adore what you did to that room, down to the last little detail. I would love to sit there and enjoy my morning coffee. Great job!

16. Amber NElson
    March 24, 2015 at 12:34 am (1 year ago)

Looks like the perfect place for me to drink my coffee on a Saturday morning.

17. Katy Rawson
    March 24, 2015 at 1:25 am (1 year ago)

Didn’t you do a 5 star job! That area look lovely. I just love shopping at Target and anywhere else I can find something functional and pretty and affordable. You have the touch of interior designer in you. Beautiful job.

18. Theresa
    March 24, 2015 at 1:45 am (1 year ago)

It looks so cozy! I am really digging those plates on your wall!

19. Christie
    March 24, 2015 at 1:48 am (1 year ago)

This is such an amazing space. Right by a window too, great way to greet the day

20. chrysa
    March 24, 2015 at 2:01 am (1 year ago)

So amazing! I could find much peace in your little morning room! I wish that I had the space to do this in my kitchen. I love my kitchen but some extra space I could create a little spot like this!

21. Danielle @ We Have It All
    March 24, 2015 at 2:03 am (1 year ago)

Your morning room is beautiful. I need a room like this in the morning i can just sit and drink my coffee in peace and quite. I’m jealous.

22. Marcie W.
    March 24, 2015 at 2:03 am (1 year ago)

I really love that you chose to utilize this small yet sweet space in your home. I can’t seem to select a favorite piece but I adore the throw pillows, ottoman, decorative tray and the small table so very much!

23. Sarah Bailey
    March 24, 2015 at 2:08 am (1 year ago)

How gorgeous does your room look – it looks perfect for relaxing or reading or well anythign! x

24. Felicia
    March 24, 2015 at 2:38 am (1 year ago)

Your morning room is gorgeous. I really need to make a habit of waking up earlier and taking some “me” time.

25. Kiwi
    March 24, 2015 at 2:40 am (1 year ago)

You are so classy! I never heard of morning room but I am happy to see how you revamp your own home. I dont have a place I can make into a little space when I move I am going to have a blogger room though.

26. toughcookiemommy
    March 24, 2015 at 3:08 am (1 year ago)

This is such a beautiful room. I love all the warm colors and the ambiance.

27. loisaltermark
    March 24, 2015 at 4:21 am (1 year ago)

I love the idea of a morning room – and yours is gorgeous!

28. Beth@FrugalFroggie
    March 24, 2015 at 4:32 am (1 year ago)

Until you showed the morning room, I never thought about how a room could impact your mood. That would be great to enjoy in the morning.

29. Annie M
    March 24, 2015 at 4:48 am (1 year ago)

I love this room! I’d totally start my day in there, so cozy!

30. Veronica
    March 24, 2015 at 5:54 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for all the great comments!

31. Rosey
    March 24, 2015 at 7:13 am (1 year ago)

You did some really great work here. I love the idea of a morning room too.

32. moesly15
    March 24, 2015 at 9:56 am (1 year ago)

I love your morning room Those matching pillows and ottoman are really cute. I love the color.

33. Debbie Denny
    March 24, 2015 at 11:53 am (1 year ago)

That is lovely. I adore those chairs.

34. Ann Bacciaglia
    March 24, 2015 at 3:13 pm (1 year ago)

You come up with the greatest ideas. I love it! I would love to sit in there and plan my day.

35. itsafabulouslife2014amanda
    March 24, 2015 at 6:36 pm (1 year ago)

I love the idea of a morning room. We just moved to a new apartment and I wish I had light coming in like that!

36. Melissa Smith
    March 25, 2015 at 12:12 am (1 year ago)

I love the idea of a morning room & it looks so cozy! I don’t have a room to use just for that purpose, but I might be able to get away with a corner.

37. chrissy4gordon24
    March 25, 2015 at 1:40 am (1 year ago)

This is a gorgeous Morning Room! I really love the design on the pillows and ottoman.

38. Debbie L.
    March 25, 2015 at 1:56 am (1 year ago)

Your morning room is so nice. I love the chairs! The plates on the wall are very unique!

39. DonnaChaffins (@DonnaChaffins)
    March 25, 2015 at 3:34 am (1 year ago)

We are adding a sun room onto our house and part of it will be my new office, with a sitting area and I can’t wait to have my very own private space. :)

40. Lisa Rios
    March 25, 2015 at 5:04 am (1 year ago)

Your morning room looks absolutely fabulous filled with brightness & elegance. The colors are simple, yet so beautiful & gives a relaxing mood honestly.

41. Heather
    March 25, 2015 at 12:15 pm (1 year ago)

Oh I love those chairs. That’s totally my style

42. Ashley Gill
    March 25, 2015 at 12:50 pm (1 year ago)

I love this space! The little bag with the magazines tucked under the table is a great idea. I need to do something like this for me. First, I better get a bigger house!

43. paula schuck
    March 25, 2015 at 2:56 pm (1 year ago)

I actually love the ottoman and the coffee table and the tray you have on the table. That makes me happy!! So pretty. I need to visit this site daily to absorb your brilliant decorating ideas. I need some help in my family room basement area!

44. Janell Poulette
    March 25, 2015 at 7:41 pm (1 year ago)

Your decorations are so nice! I would love to have a loft area that was like a retreat.

45. Alice Chase
    March 26, 2015 at 12:18 am (1 year ago)

So cozy! I loved the various plates hanging on the walls!

46. Jessica
    April 24, 2015 at 2:35 pm (1 year ago)

I love your morning room! What a great space to relax in before you get your day started! I have to ask, what is the source for that awesome fabric for your curtains?!

• casavilorainteriors
      April 24, 2015 at 5:24 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Jessica! I enjoy that great space in the morning as the sun shines in. The drapery fabric came from Robert Allen. It is my favorite thing in the room

47. Janis Hill
    April 24, 2015 at 6:19 pm (1 year ago)

What a great use of space! Everything is perfect.

Wish I had the plates! :-)

I have a Morning Room as well. Some may call it a family room, but we prefer calling it the Morning Room. Wish I could attach a picture for you to see.

• casavilorainteriors
      April 25, 2015 at 9:47 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Janis! I would love to see your morning room. I bet you love hanging out there.

48. Lisa @ Shine Your Light
    April 25, 2015 at 12:09 pm (1 year ago)

Veronica, I’m so happy to find your blog through Best of the Nest! Your style is so pretty – I love what you did to your breakfast area-turned “morning room”! Your curtain fabric is so lovely, I think I have seen that at Tonic Living and loved the colors. The wing backs, plates, and styling of the whole space is fabulous. I too have 2 chairs and a little table in what is supposed to be our breakfast area and I enjoy that spot so much. Everyone loves to sit there and chat when we are making dinner too and it’s become one of my favorite areas in our house.

• casavilorainteriors
      April 25, 2015 at 9:49 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Lisa! I am happy to see that I am not alone with the morning room concept. I am glad you are enjoying yours too!

49. cindy hattersley
    April 25, 2015 at 7:54 pm (1 year ago)

Beautiful! I love that you can adjust the height of the table that is such a great idea!!

• casavilorainteriors
      April 25, 2015 at 9:50 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Cindy! That feature was very important to me, so I would have the flexibility to use it for dining

50. Kris {Driven by Décor}
    April 30, 2015 at 1:12 am (1 year ago)

Veronica, this is such an awesome space! I can totally picture hanging out there with my hubby and a cup of coffee in the morning or a little happy hour cocktail at night :)

51. Pam @ Simple Details
    May 1, 2015 at 3:40 am (1 year ago)

Beautiful job, Veronica!! I love this inviting space you created, your comfy wing backs and the fabulous drapery fabric are my favorites! :) You have a great eye for putting everything together – enjoy!!

• Veronica
      May 1, 2015 at 4:20 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for the kind words Pam. And thanks for creating this opportunity where we can share and be inspired by each other. I love following your work

52. Patty
    May 1, 2015 at 2:02 pm (1 year ago)

So pretty! I love thinking “out of the box” and using spaces for what fits out family and changing again when our needs change! Our styles are so similar (we have the same hardwood floors!), I just don’t seem to have your “eye”! Thanks for sharing your beautiful ideas! :)

• casavilorainteriors
      May 1, 2015 at 10:15 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Patty! It was my pleasure sharing my cozy space.

53. patty blaettler
    May 2, 2015 at 2:19 pm (1 year ago)

So cute! If you move 2 or 3 rings of the drapes to the end of the rod, your drapes will hang more gracefully and look even more beautiful.

• casavilorainteriors
      May 3, 2015 at 1:02 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for the tip. I usually just do one or two at the end of the rod. In this case just one.