Hello my Lovelies!
As promised, today’s post will be focusing on the sources and resources for most of the items in the guest bedroom makeover I just completed for the One Room Challenge. If you missed the big reveal last week, please click here for the deets and pretty pictures
if you were following along, you would know that this is the guest bedroom in my home, and I was on a super tight budget, so I had to get really creative and do a lot of DIY stuff and re-use and repurpose as much as I could. I still wanted it to have a chic and luxurious look, and I think it totally came out that way
Here’s another picture that shows the full view of the room (well most of it), so you can follow along
I have gotten a lot of questions about the floor. It is not tiles; it is actually plywood. I purchased 4’x8′ sheets from Home Depot and had them cut them into 6″x8′ planks and then I had them laid the same way you would lay hardwood floors. There is a vapor barrier that was laid down on top of the subfloor first. We used really small finish nails, then countersank them, filled them with wood filler, and then lightly sanded. The floor did not require a lot of sanding because it is cabinet grade birch plywood. We then painted the stripes by taping off each 6″ plank and using a Benjamin Moore specially formulated floor paint. I should have also added polyurethane as a final coat, but because the room will not get used much, I decided to skip this step. The paint formula I used does not require the poly, but I would have if the room was going to be heavily used. It has been holding up great so far
- The black paint color on the walls is Onyx by Benjamin Moore – done in a flat finish
- The ceiling is Benjamin Moore Decorators White in flat finish
- The floor is the same as the wall and ceiling except I did a Urethane Alkyd Enamel Gloss finish
- The closet are the same black and white colors in flat
- The trim and doors is Decorators White in Semi-Gloss
- The bed is the main piece in the room. I already owned it for many years. I purchased it at Bombay Company maybe 10 years ago. It was a dark brown and I spray painted it in gold. I used Rust-oleum metallic gold spray paint that I purchased at Home Depot. I probably went through 3 cans
- The left dresser is from Ikea – It is the Trysil dresser. It comes in a dark brown and black and I spray painted it Rust-oleum white gloss protective enamel – also from Home Depot and the gold accent with the same gold spray paint as the bed
- The round flower table with the marble top that is the second nightstand is from ExclusiveMod.com
- The yellow chair in the corner is also from Ikea -The Bernhard chair
- The upholstered vanity is custom made. I had my carpenter build the frame for me and then had my upholsterer add the fabric and nail head. The fabric is a faux python print and I cannot remember where I purchased it. I did a google search for “faux python fabric” and bought it from one of the first retailers that popped up. The nail heads are from a to-the-trade source called Rowley Company, and the glass top is custom cut from Katy Glass Company
- The ghost chair I also just did a google search and bought from one of the first retailers
- The chandelier is from Lamps Plus. It was dark brown and I spray painted it the same gold as the bed
- The two striped lamps are from Home Goods
- The duvet set and bedskirt are from Crane and Canopy
- The sheet set and mattress cover is from Ross
- The coverlet is from Home Goods
- The pillows are mostly custom – fabrics from Kravet and Duralee (both to the trade). The graphic pillow is from Ikea
- The drapery is custom made by my work room.
- The silk fabric is from Catania Silks
- The lining is from Rowley
- The trim is from M&J trimming
- The drapery hardware is from Aria, sold through Rowley Company
- The art in the room are mostly originals done by my daughter, Courtney Morris. There are a few prints from Minted, a few from shopping at an antique store, some are from Hobby Lobby
The Accents and Accessories
- The antler above the bed is from Wayfair
- The gazelle on the vanity is from A&B Home and so is the bust on the nightstand
- The accessories are from various sources like Home Goods, Hobby Lobby and Joanne Fabrics
- The floral were custom arranged by S Home Décor in Houston
- The books are all from my collection
- The ceiling medallion is from Udecor
- The rug (which I decided not to use after all) is from Surya
- The mirror is from Wisteria
I think that covers everything in the room. Please feel free to leave a comment below if you need more specific information, or if I have missed anything.
I am so very proud and absolutely in love with the guest bedroom.
If you would like for me to create a beautiful space for you, please reach out to me and I will be happy to talk to you about your project. Visit my website for more examples of my work
Wishing You Beauty & Inspiration!